CrossFit’s First Fitness Model: The 10 General Physical Skills. There are 10 recognized general physical skills, which include cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy.
(Heads Up: Brief profanity. Sorry in advance.) Courtesy of CrossFit Inc.
If your goal is optimum physical competence then all the general physical skills must be considered:
- Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance –The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
- Stamina –The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
- Strength –The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.
- Flexibility –The ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
- Power –The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.
- Speed –The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
- Coordination –The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
- Agility –The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
- Balance –The ability to control the placement of the body’s center of gravity in relation to its support base.
- Accuracy –The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.